The State Memorial and Natural Preserve "Museum-estate of Leo Tolstoy "Yasnaya Polyana"
  • krokus.jpg
  • kucherskaya.jpg
  • midpond.jpg
  • pond_eng.JPG
  • pond_eng2.jpg
  • veranda.jpg
“The Garrison Town” Exhibition

afishaJune 30 - August 27, 2015
Krapivna Local History Museum

On June 30, 2015, “The Garrison Town” exhibition was opened at the Krapivna Local History Museum. The exhibition tells about the Krapivna of the mid 16th – early 18th centuries, when it was a fortress town and a part of the abatis line of fortifications.

The objects and documents on display tell about the construction and reconstruction of the fortress, about the life in it and the people who defended it, and about that time, so different from later epochs in its lifestyle and view of the world. Objects are taken from the collections of the Krapivna Museum and the “Kulikovo Field” State Military History and Natural Museum-Preserve, and copies of documents – from the Russian State Archives of Ancient Acts.   

Background information:

Krapivna was founded, just like some other towns in Tula and Ryazan provinces (Epiphan, Gremyachevo, Dedilovo), due to the necessity to defend the southern borders of Moscow State from Crimean Tatar and Nogai raids. In addition to the foundation of garrison towns, one of the main undertakings of the government was the construction in the 1550s of the Great (Tula) Abatis Line that stretched from Seversky in the west to Skopin and farther in the east.

Old Krapivna was a relatively small wooden (log-and-earth) fortress of the Medieval type located on one of several hills in the area. It was many times attacked by Crimean Tatars and Nogais. After one of the raids (most likely in 1587), the town was burned to the ground and moved to a new place, to the northwest of the previous one - the present location of  Krapivna. The new Krapivna fortress that was built above the Plava River had two lines of wooden or log-and-earth fortifications – the big and small ostrogs (forts).

During the reconstruction of the Great Abatis Line in 1630-1640, the decision was taken to build an outer line of defense of a new type in Krapivna – earthworks with bastions, like the ones that had already appeared in Western Europe by that time.

The fortifications, however, were not finished, mostly because in the mid-1640s the risk of Tatar raids was greatly reduced. Later, the unfinished front was completed in the north and east when low earthworks were constructed to serve as an administrative and police border for the town.    

Krapivna’s fortifications were dismantled in the last quarter of the 18th century during the regular preplanning of the town. Krapivna, which used to be a garrison town and a combat outpost, which had had almost no independent civilian population, gradually turned into a local trading and commercial center. During its existence as a fortress, Krpaivna, along with other towns beyond the Oka River, successfully fulfilled its main defense function.

The exhibition will be open every day from 9:00 to 17:00. The cost of a guided tour is 30 rubles for a discounted ticket and 50 rubles for a full-price ticket. 

 
 
Оценка услуг

Thematic sites

Instagram


Отзывы о Ясной Поляне на
 tripAdvisor
unesco_Converted
4geo_150x150
mosaic_100x100