The State Memorial and Natural Preserve "Museum-estate of Leo Tolstoy "Yasnaya Polyana"
  • krokus.jpg
  • kucherskaya.jpg
  • midpond.jpg
  • pond_eng.JPG
  • pond_eng2.jpg
  • veranda.jpg
Oaks Were Planted at Yasnaya Polyana

IMG_8182

On November 9, 2017, 105 young oak trees were planted at Yasnaya Polyana. The director of the Yasnaya Polyana Museum, Ekaterina Tolstaya; the head of the Tula Regional Office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Major General Sergey Galkin; employees of the museum; and employees of the Tula police all participated in the tree-planting. The planting was scheduled for the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the Soviet militia and the Day of RF Law Enforcement Employees, which is celebrated on November 10. See the photos >>>

65 oak saplings were planted in the fir grove near Leo Tolstoy’s favourite bench. These young oaks were grown at our estate’s plant nursery from acorns harvested from an old oak in the Chepyzh wood. Forty more oaks were planted along the path leading to the writer’s favourite bench.

This fir grove was planted by Leo Tolstoy’s wife Sophia in 1889. “This autumn I also took up planting trees. Behind the oak wood, not far from the house, Leo Nikolaevich once planted firs on the hillock where nothing grew, so bad was the soil. The firs took root only right near the forest, but farther off they would dry up and die not matter how many were planted again. So, Leo Nikolaevich gave up on planting them. Then I wanted to fulfill his dream, and I ardently started out planting. I invited the forester Kern for his advice; he is very knowledgeable and he studied forestry abroad. He advised me to plant firs with oaks in a formation of wedge after wedge. All in all, 6,800 firs and 5,300 oaks were planted then…” (S. Tolstaya. My Life)

By 2006, only 76 oaks remained in the oak wedges of the grove. We began replenishing them in 2013, when 85 oak saplings were planted. 50 more were added in 2016. The new trees added greatly to the beauty of the historic forest!

Оценка услуг

Thematic sites

Instagram

Отзывы о Ясной Поляне на
 tripAdvisor
unesco_Converted
4geo_150x150
mosaic_100x100